- Opt-in: postdocs need to opt-in
- Opt-out: assume all postdocs take part unless they opt-out
- Compulsory: assume all postdocs take part, and assign them to buddy groups
We suggest a group size of about three to four postdocs, as this is small enough to get nice interaction but large enough to counter any drop-outs/lack of engagement so two or three will be able to meet.
Method of grouping:
- Disciplinary area
You may also ask postdocs about their preferences for being grouped by the same/different or specified disciplinary areas.
Duration of meetings:
20 to 30 minutes duration. This duration was suggested as a compromise between being disconcertingly long and not so short that the postdocs can’t have an effective conversation.
Frequency of meetings:
Every 3 weeks? Monthly?
Do you want the same buddy group to meet multiple times over a period of time?
Frequency of running the buddy scheme:
What to do next:
- Advertise the buddy scheme to your postdocs
- Assign postdocs to buddy groups
- Collect feedback to evaluate how it ran
- Repeat as desired